The WordPress text editor (TinyMCE) is basic at best, which is why most people use other tools, such as desktop-based blog editors, to overcome the restrictions that they face with the default WordPress text editor. Some of the commonly reported issues, in addition to the basic nature of the editor, are:
- HTML script is either added or removed by the text auto-formatting feature of the editor.
- Preview does not really take into consideration the stylesheets of the website, so what you get is not really what you see. There are ways around this, but it requires adding some additional scripts.
If you’ve struggled with the text editor and are looking for something better, we have some suggestions for you.
Most advanced users switch to the TinyMCE Advanced editor as soon as their WordPress site is up and running. This plugin adds 16 plugins to the default editor, but the interface is only available in English right now.
Some of the features added by this plugin
- Compatible with any theme, WYSIWYG works.
- Support for creating and editing tables.
- Advanced list and image dialogs that offer a lot of options.
- Search and replace in the editor.
- Support for XHTML specific tags and for (div based) layers.
Once you install the plugin, navigate to Settings > TinyMCE Advanced to add the buttons you want to the default editor and voila!
The Front-end Editor is an add-on as it does not fix any of the problems of the default editor. But we are including it here, because it gives you the ability to quickly correct spelling mistakes without logging into the admin panel. As the description on the plugin page reads, it “is a plugin that lets you make changes to your content directly from your site. No need to load the admin backend just to correct a typo.” It is compatible with any theme, and is light and loads quickly. You can edit posts, pages, custom post types, comments, widgets and other elements on your page. Quite useful!
Are there other plugins that you can recommend? Leave a comment and let us know.
Susan is with blogVault, the Premium WordPress Backup Service